Dr. John’s Top Ten Winter Tips 2015
It is COLD out in Etobicoke, Ontario…
Keep Your Pet Warm and SAFE!
- If it is too cold outside for YOU… then It is too cold for your pet
- Check the current temperature and your dog’s comfort when you head out for a long walk to the off leash park especially during this recent deep freeze in Toronto
- Keep your dog on a leash — Certainly any time of year is terrible for a pet to become separated from you and possibly lost or hurt but when it is extremely cold the risks multiply
- Some pets need and appreciate a coat or boots when outside this winter
- Limit backyard play time to “potty breaks”
- Paws are sensitive to salt.. wash your pets paws and dry them thoroughly after walks
- Consider using kitty litter or sand on the areas your pet frequents instead of salt
- Outdoor cats are attracted to the heat of car motors. Make sure you tap the hood of your car a few times before starting your it.
- Antifreeze is fatal to your pet if ingested. Any leaks or spills should be cleaned up immediately. Keep Antifreeze stored in a sealed leak-proof container and secured in a closed cupboard away from pets. If your pet has ingested antifreeze contact us immediately.
- Stay inside and snuggle with your pet any chance you get this winter!!